Monday, February 7, 2011

BREAKING! Jane Harman To Resign From Congress (updated)

Rep. Jane Harman (D, a nine-term incumbent for the South Bay, announced today she will be resigning her seat.






Earlier today, I filed paperwork notifying the House of Representatives that I am in discussions to succeed former Rep. Lee Hamilton as President and CEO of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. I send this note because a decision is imminent and I wanted you to hear the news from me first.

This is an excruciating decision because the distinction of representing the smartest constituents on earth will never be surpassed – nor will my relationships with my exceptional staff and colleagues in Congress. But shaping and leading the Wilson Center is a thrilling new challenge.

The news came as a surprise to both her constituents and fellow Democratic lawmakers in Congress, many of whom first learned of it from an MSNBC report.

According to the California election code, a special primary election to fill the vacancy will have to happen between 112 and 126 days from Harman's resignation. The election will be held under the new "open primary" system, where the two top vote-getters, irregardless of party affiliation,  will advance to the general election. The general election has to be completed within 180 days of the vacancy.

Although Harman faced two tough primary challenges from progressive Marcy Winograd, it is widely expected LA Councilwoman Janice Hahn, who unsuccessfully ran for Lt. Governor in 2010, will emerge the front-runner in any special election.





UPDATE: Debra Bowen is reportedly eyeing Harman's congressional seat as well.

Secretary of State Debra Bowen is considering running for the congressional seat expected to be vacated by Democratic Rep. Jane Harman.

"She is very, very seriously considering running for Congress," Bowen campaign consultant Steve Barkan said. "It's brand new news, and so she needs to take all factors into consideration."

Bowen herself  confirmed this in a Twitter post.


Harman's full statement below.




Earlier today, I filed paperwork notifying the House of Representatives that I am in discussions to succeed former Rep. Lee Hamilton as President and CEO of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. I send this note because a decision is imminent and I wanted you to hear the news from me first.

This is an excruciating decision because the distinction of representing the smartest constituents on earth will never be surpassed – nor will my relationships with my exceptional staff and colleagues in Congress. But shaping and leading the Wilson Center is a thrilling new challenge.

I have always believed that the best solutions to tough problems require a bipartisan approach, and bipartisanship is the Center’s “brand.” Serving at its helm provides unique opportunities to involve the House and Senate, top experts, and world leaders in “great debates” about the most pressing foreign and domestic policy matters.

Should this opportunity come to pass, I would be required to resign my seat. But please know that I would remain in Congress for some weeks and do everything possible to ensure an orderly transition to whomever is elected to succeed me. Sidney and I will always retain our residence in Venice, be home frequently, and stay engaged at USC and active in the community.

You have elected me to nine terms in Congress – an honor without equal. I hope you understand how truly grateful I am for your friendship and support.

1 comment:

  1. JOBs, JOBS, JOBS is the only issue Dems need to laser focus on. Make a plan, and go for it. Without this, we definitely will see a Republican as President next term. Obama ain't all he said he was, but he's better than Huck, or whoever those other guys are!!! Thanks! Lola in Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete